2-3 Weeks Before Your Move
Do you have power?
Call ahead to have utilities connected at your new home.
What about packing?
Make final packing decisions. Start packing items you don't use often.
Remember the unseen places
Clean and clear your home, including closets, basements and attics.
Call your bank to find out how to transfer your bank accounts.
Got any safety deposit boxes lying around?
Each year people move without clearing out their safety deposit boxes. Don't be another statistic.
Secret hiding spots
If you've hidden any valuables around the house, be sure to collect them before leaving.
A reminder about moving plants
Some state laws prohibit moving house plants. Consider giving your plants to a friend or local charity.
- Plan meals that will use up the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Have your automobile serviced if you're traveling by car.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to a drugstore in your new town.
- Dispose of flammable items such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol cans, paint, ammunition and poisons such as weed killer.
- Drain all the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and power tools to ensure safe transportation. Refer to your owner's manual for specific instructions.
Contact The Move Advocate
Like The Move Advocate on Facebook!